Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Garbage strike

This is a picture of a garbage strike.... and no basketball gets played: One view of the summer 2009 garbage strike in Toronto, from torontocitylife on Flickr

"It sounds crude to say, but what's happening is the stuff that's supposed to be in the toilet is still floating around in your body."
-- Dr. Arkady Synhavsky

You've heard about garbage strikes in big cities. A few folks with private contractors can get their trash out, but most can't. Trash piles up in business' trash receptacles, street litter bins, apartment basements. Soon, it's clogging sidewalks, parking spots, building entrances. Simple tasks get increasingly difficult and frustrating.

That's what's happening in my body. My kidneys are failing, and only a few folks are still taking out the garbage.

I'm down to about 18 percent kidney function. At 40 percent, I was neglecting big projects around the house and not taking overtime at work. At about 30, I was falling asleep on the couch after work (yeah, me -- the supposedly light sleeper.) And as I neared 20, my blood-pressure medication couldn't do the job anymore.

The medical community refers to the waste products left lying around my body as "toxins," not "trash" -- reassuring, no? (No.) Whatever you call them, they're clogging up my body and my mind, and they affect almost every system -- except the ones you'd think they would.

Next, what's up with that?