Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tender loving care

These are my home health aides!

For the first week to 10 days, the only comfortable spot where I could sleep at night and nap during the day was the futon on our porch. Fortunately, I had plenty of companionship; Birch the English setter (on the ottoman) and Major the Irish setter (on the rug) are always ready for a nap and often precede us up to bed at night. That's the great thing about setters -- if you feel like running around the house or yard like a nut, they're there. (I once read "Ebullient" in a description of the setter personality!) If you want to take a nap, hey! That was their plan too!

Tammie Calvert, Birch's breeder, assured us, "My dogs were very aware when I came home from surgery that I wasn't feeling well, so they didn't jump on me... It was strange how they knew mom wasn't feeling well." And Major's always been a gentle giant -- even when he was a 99.3 pound youngster!

There's nothing like those dog sleepy waves breaking over you from a hand's pet away. . .