Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Twins of my twins

They're not mine, but they're pretty close -- just a couple inches bigger in each dimension. The smaller one, like my right one, looks like its cysts have been cut away from something else. The larger, like my left, appears mainly intact.

Not many internal organs are up for beauty awards, but for sheer sci-fi horror, polycystic kidneys are in the finalists, huh?

Although I'd taped a note to my robe demanding photos and measurements going into the operation, I apparently failed by letting some woman in the OR take it from me, because I didn't get any photos.

I should have laundry-markered the message on my body under the robe, I suppose.

Anyway, my surgeon blamed herself for not getting photos of the culprits, but I can't say I dare blame her for anything, since everything turned out so well.

Still having a few echo pains from where the left kidney was apparently pressing on a nerve and pain on my right side where apparently the cysts were cut away. They're not persistent or bad, though, just a reminder now and then that I've been through something.

Think I'll print this out and carry it in my wallet for when I wear my "Ask Me How I Lost 20 Pounds in 3 Hours" t-shirt out.