Monday, November 15, 2010

A plateau day

-- by Randy

Holly had had a shower by the time I got here today and was getting up and down slowly but on her own. It does look like napping is still a big part of the schedule.

I think the reason she is resting so well is the pain management has been worked out. This is probably why so far the bipedal jaunts are only jaunty with in the room but it's still early yet. The occupational therapist hasn't been in yet. I always thought of occupational therapist as being work, that is employment, related but I think now that the meaning is "to keep one occupied." Work is also a word for effort and keeping occupied at this stage is extra effort.

Mostly she looks better and is resting comfortably. Time and naps and healing. Thanks to everyone for the emails and the calls.

----------Holly, later--------

Last night (Sunday) I was alone in a two-person room. My "roommate" Melissa went home at six. She had donated a kidney to her father, who had suffered sudden-onset kidney failure. Both seemed to be doing great.

I had the most delightful nurse -- arrived with a sunny outlook and only got more positive from there. When I inform her of things like "I'm going to change gowns and then walk down the hall," she says "That sounds like a lovely plan!" as though I've just suggested a picnic.

Positivity helps. After two go-rounds, I think my body's response to surgery is to stay awake, since the last time it fell asleep something awful happened. After the transplant, I assumed the sleepless, thrashing, eye-watering hours awake were due to steroids.

This time around, I am on a much lower dose of steroids, plus have my usual sleeping pill in the evening. And I'm still up until midnight, up again at 2, up again at 4. Thank heavens there's a Law & Order marathon on.

Now that I've actually ventured out the door, I'm even more impressed with the nursing staff here. If you wander out at 4 a.m. to see if there's any juice or Jello in the area (this is assuming you're a person on a "clear liquids" diet for four days) the first person you ask will say "What flavor?" jump up and get it for you. It doesn't matter who they are or what they seem to be doing at the time; there's no "I'll call your nurse" or "I'll see if there's an aide around."

And when they stop in to check vitals or hang an IV bag, they never leave without asking "Is there anything else I can do for you?" And they mean it. When you can't even sit up in bed, adding an extra blanket or or putting your oxygen on again can be the difference between resting comfortably and staying miserably awake.

I'm so thankful to all of them. Especially the one who slipped and asked "Is there anything more I can do to you?"

That was delightful too!